Switching from Android to iOS or vice versa was a headache for those who did not want to lose their WhatsApp chats. A Samsung transfer tool allowed this to be done on some Galaxy and iPhone users who had to resort to a beta version of the WhatsApp app.
Now, the Meta messaging app has announced that it is now possible to transfer chats between Android and iOS and vice versa natively, although in the case of the latter this possibility is still limited to Samsung phones. Let’s see how it works.
How to transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iOS
The process to move WhatsApp chats from Android to iOS is not difficult, but you must meet several specific requirements and follow each step exactly as instructed to avoid problems. You must make sure you have the following:
- Android OS Lollipop, SDK 21 or later version installed on the Android device, or Android 5 or later version.
- iOS 15.5 or later version installed on the iPhone.
- The Move to iOS app is installed on the Android phone.
- WhatsApp version 184.108.40.206 or later installed on your iOS phone.
- WhatsApp version 220.127.116.11 or later installed on your Android phone.
- On the new device, you must use the same phone number you used on the old one.
- To be able to connect with the Move to iOS app and migrate data from the Android phone, the iPhone must be factory new or reset to factory settings.
- Both devices must be connected to an electrical power source.
- Both devices must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network or you must connect the Android device to the iPhone’s shared connection.
If you fulfill all the above-mentioned you can start the process.
- Open the Move to iOS app on the Android phone and follow the on-screen prompts.
- A code will be displayed on the iPhone. When prompted, enter the code on the Android phone.
- Tap Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.
- On the Transfer Data screen, select WhatsApp.
- Tap Start on the Android phone and wait for WhatsApp to prepare the data for export. When this process is complete, you will be logged out of your Android phone.
- Tap Next to return to the Move to iOS app.
- Tap Continue to transfer the data from the Android phone to the iPhone and wait for Move to iOS to confirm that the transfer is complete.
- Install the latest version of WhatsApp from the App Store.
- Open WhatsApp and sign in with the same phone number you used on your previous device.
- When prompted, tap Start and wait for the process to complete.
- Once you finish activating the device, all transferred chats will appear. It should be noted that if you had a WhatsApp backup on the previous phone it will no longer be valid. Therefore, you will need to make a copy on the iPhone so that it is saved in iCloud.
How to transfer WhatsApp chats from iOS to Android
In the case of Android, WhatsApp only mentions the Samsung Smart Switch app, which allows you to perform the migration process on most devices of the South Korean brand. To start the process you need to make sure you have the following:
- Samsung Smart Switch app version 18.104.22.168 or later installed on your new device.
- WhatsApp for iOS version 22.214.171.124 or later installed on your iPhone.
- WhatsApp for Android version 126.96.36.199 or later on your new phone.
- A USB-C to Lightning cable (or equivalent adapters).
- On the new device, the same phone number you used on the previous device.
- The new Android device must be factory new or reset to factory settings.
If you meet all of the above you can start the process.
- Turn on the Samsung device and, when prompted, connect it with the cable to the iPhone.
- Follow the prompts in the Samsung Smart Switch app.
- When prompted, use the iPhone camera to scan the QR code displayed on the new device.
- On the iPhone, press Start and wait for the process to complete.
- Continue with the setup of your new Samsung device.
- When you get to the home screen, open WhatsApp and sign in with the same phone number you used on your previous device.
- When prompted, tap Import and wait for the process to complete.
- When you finish activating the new device, you will be able to see all your WhatsApp chats. As in the previous case, you will need to back up to the cloud again.