Having had betas beforehand, and with the presentation of the system that was made at the Google I/O 2022, we already had some idea of what we could find in this operating system. But now that it is official and will begin to reach our smartphones, we will review the new features that we will have in the palm of our hands when the update arrives:
- Improvements in Material You: when we apply a new theme to our device, not only the buttons and the like will be modified. Now the application icons will also be affected by these changes. The differences between those icons that applied the themes and those that did not were one of the points that pulled back many users when trying new themes to give a different look to their phones or tablets. However, now they will apply to everything, when you want to give a different touch to your device you can do it easily just by changing the theme.
- New media player: From previous versions of the operating system we found a notification at the top of our device with which we could press play or pause playback. The main novelty is that now we will also find a progress bar that moves to the sound of the music and that we can use to go to the part of the song that we like.
- A different language for each app: If you want to have for example Instagram in English and WhatsApp in Spanish, now you can do it. Android 13 allows you to configure the language of the different applications individually, so you can have each of them in the language you prefer. Some apps already allowed you to do this previously, but now you will be able to do it in all of them without a problem, and you can also manage it from the system settings without having to enter those of each of them.
- New permissions: In this new version, permissions to access photos, music, and documents are separated, and those to send notifications to third-party apps are added. Therefore, you will receive permission notifications more often, but in return, you will have better control.
- Improvements in the clipboard: Now the clipboard will be cleaned automatically from time to time, and gains privacy by not being displayed on the overlay screen.
- Spatial audio: Spatial audio is functionality that integrates some headphones to offer a surround sound that is placed just where it is best for us to better appreciate the sound quality. In this way, if for example, we turn our head we can see how the sound adapts to it. This function will be integrated into Android 13 and will allow a more immersive experience.
- Night mode: Android 13 allows you to use a new night mode, which includes switching to the dark theme automatically and wallpaper also in dark tones. In this way, your eyes will adapt to the darkness to make it easier for you to fall asleep.
- Pass messaging apps to the Chromebook: If you have a Chromebook, you will soon be able to use it to send and reply to messages from any messaging app.
- Bluetooth Low Energy: Android 13 adopts this new standard that will allow you to listen to audio with lower latency, which means that the delays from the time the sound leaves your smartphone until it reaches your headphones will be less, making it ideal especially for calls.
- Copy content from mobile to tablet: The copy and paste function reaches a new dimension allowing you to take content from one device to another.
- New taskbar for tablet: If you use Android 13 from a tablet, you will now have a new taskbar that will allow you to do several things at the same time in an easier way.
How to install Android 13 today?
As with previous releases, the final version of Android 13 will be available first for Google devices, namely the following Pixel devices:
If you have one of the aforementioned phones, you simply need to go into the settings, then into the System section, and finally, tap on System Update.
Once you’re inside System Update, as shown in the images, you’ll need to tap on Download and install. When the download is finished, tap on Restart now.
Google has confirmed that Android 13 will also be available “later this year” on phones from Samsung Galaxy, Asus, Nokia, iQOO, Motorola, OnePlus, Oppo, Realme, Sharp, Sony, Tecno, Vivo, Xiaomi, among others.