Who has never needed to track their cell phone in their life? Having your device stolen or lost and not knowing where to find it – these are some of the everyday situations. Both Android smartphones and iPhones have several ways of tracking. Brands such as Samsung, Motorola, Apple, and Xiaomi are making this process easier and easier and more specific to each one.
In addition to showing the location, the following methods also allow the user to erase and block the phone’s data. Check out the following tutorial on how to track Android and iPhone.
Find My Device is a Google application used to track Android smartphones. In addition to locating the phone on a map, it allows you to sound an alarm, lock and erase the device’s data. It can be accessed via the web and the application.
To use the feature, the missing phone must be turned on, connected to a mobile network or Wi-Fi, have its location feature enabled, and have the Find My Device app downloaded.
Step 1: Go to the Find My Device service myaccount.google.com/intro/find-your-phone and sign in with the same Google account as the one logged into the missing phone.
Step 2: The device will be listed. If you have more than one Android device, select the correct one from the list at the top.
Step 3: The device in question will receive a notification that the device has been found.
Step 4: On the map, you will see the approximate location of the device.
After the device is tracked, the user has access to three options:
- Play sound: The device plays the alarm loudly for five minutes, even if it is in silent mode.
- Secure Device: Locks the lost or stolen phone with a password.
- Erase Device: Deletes the entire contents of the phone. This is recommended when there is no longer any hope of finding your phone. After using this option, it will no longer be possible to locate the device.
Other Tracking Tools for Android
On Xiaomi devices, tracking can also be done through the Mi account. To do this, you need to enable the option that allows you to locate the device in the phone’s settings. The device’s location must also be enabled. After that, the tracking process is done in a few minutes via the Xiaomi Cloud website.
Samsung has also released a native tool for tracking Galaxy phones, headsets, and wearables from the brand. In this new tool, the devices do not need to be connected to the internet, unlike the previous ones. The feature is available from version 7.2.07.19, older ones must update the device.
Track iPhone (iOS)
To track all apple devices, the “Find my iPhone” option is used, which performs similarly to the Google tool. This application allows you to find the devices even if they are turned off or have no internet connection. With this option activated follow the instructions below:
Step 1: Go to the iCloud tracking page (icloud.com/find/).
Step 2: Login with your Apple ID email and password.
Step 3: Wait for the device location to appear.
Step 4: To access more information, click the (i) next to your iPhone.
The options available are similar to those available in Google’s tool. They are:
- Play Sound: Makes your iPhone beep. It is useful if you lose your iPhone, but it is not interesting to use this tool in case of theft.
- Lost mode: Blocks access to the device and starts tracking its location, showing a 24-hour history of where the phone has been. This is the most recommended option in case of theft.
- Erase iPhone: Wipe all content from the device. It can no longer be found.
It’s important to remember that if you have no more hope of finding a stolen phone, you should block the IMEI of the device with your carrier. Also, it is necessary to logouts on apps that were logged on the phone to avoid further inconvenience.